The TD Discovery Series Special Projects, created by Toronto Downtown Jazz (TDJ) with the support of TD, encourages the creation, development and presentation of special projects by jazz musicians in the City of Toronto. Through a juried process, successful applicants are awarded a bursary and obtain marketing and public relations support from TDJ.
Why Special Projects
The city of Toronto features one of the most vibrant jazz communities in North America. With the Special Projects initiative, Toronto Downtown Jazz provides support for the outstanding jazz musicians who work and live in Toronto, while at the same time establishing a year-round presence on Toronto’s jazz scene.
Congratulations to the 2019 Special Projects!
The following four projects were chosen for support as part of the 2019 TD Discovery Series Special Project initiative:
- Moodset’s Live Writing Project - February 7, 2019 at Yauca's Lounge
- Thomas Francis’ "The Jazz Gene” - February 22, 2019 at Small World Music Centre
- Ernesto Cervini’s Tetrahedron featuring guitarist Nir Felder - April 9 & 10, 2019 at The Rex Hotel
- Spectrum Music’s Coding Chaos - May 2, 2019 at The Tell
2019 Special Projects were selected by a panel of local music specialists:
- Adrean Farrugia, award winning pianist and faculty member at Mohawk College and Humber College
- Kayla McGee, Executive Director of the Music Gallery
- Jennie Punter, Editor of Musicworks Magazine
- Jane Harbury, one of Canada’s top publicists, whose career has spanned more than 50 years
For more information about TDJ Special Projects, please contact Artistic Director Josh Grossman at (416) 928-2033 ext. 27 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To see a list of past years' Special Projects, click here.